Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Winter Weather Means Soup! Hearty Minestrone

With the cold weather sweeping the nation, I thought it'd be the perfect time to make some nice hot soup to warm up the kitchen.  Tonight, I made an Italian classic - Hearty Minestrone.  This soup has always been a family-favorite, but my recipe is much easier than the ones made by my ancestors.  This version of Minestrone uses canned and frozen foods for ease, but the convenience doesn't take away this soup's fresh flavor.

Until I get a camera of my own, this almost-perfect match will have to do!
http://www.itakios.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/minestrone_soup.jpg

I find this dish to be so comforting, and it always reminds me of home.  The tomato-beef broth has a very natural flavor, while the vegetables and beans give me that healthy edge I love.  My family members and friends have found this soup irresistible in the past, and my parents were incredibly happy to have it warm their palate tonight!  I know that this soup will be a tradition in my family for years to come, and a recipe I will one day make for my own children.  Enjoy!  :]

Hearty Minestrone
Serves 6.

Ingredients:
2 14-oz cans beef broth
1 15-oz can kidney beans (drained)
1 10-oz pkg frozen mixed vegetables
1 small onion (chopped)
3/4 cup ditalini pasta
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 zucchini (sliced and cut in 4ths)
1 14-oz can Italian-style stewed tomatoes (drained into soup, then chopped)

Method:
1. Combine broth, beans, veggies, onion, pasta, basil, and pepper in a 3 Qt saucepan and mix well.
2. Bring to a boil and reduce to medium heat.
3. Cook covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in zucchini and tomatoes as specified in the ingredients.
5. Cook covered until heated through (7-10 minutes).

Notes:
Bean Tip:  Run the beans in cold water and let them soak for 5 minutes with a Tbsp of fresh lemon juice for a fresher taste.
Substitution:  To make it a meal, use chicken broth and add 1 lb chopped cooked chicken with the zucchini and tomatoes.

What are some of your favorite recipes for the winter?

For a printable version of this recipe, visit my recipe site at http://wegottaeat.com/Lorrae/recipes/hearty-minestrone.

You can find an index to all of my recipes under the "Recipes" section at the top of my blog.

And, if you liked this post, you can follow my blog to recieve free updates by clicking the "Follow" button at the top right of my page, and stay tuned for more!  :]

No comments:

Post a Comment