Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Warm Cooking on the East Coast - French Onion Soup

The snow is still coming down here in Pennsylvania, which means a break from classes and more time indoors.  I take it as the perfect opportunity to warm up the kitchen with some fresh French Onion Soup.

http://img4.myrecipes.com/i/recipes/ck/05/01/french-onion-ck-1011280-l.jpg 

French Onion Soup is one of my favorite dishes.  I make it a point to order it whenever I'm out and it's offered on the menu.  You just can't beat that savory flavor with softened croûtons and melted cheese on top.   But, for a very long time, I thought this perfect combination would be impossible to pull off in my own kitchen.  How could could I make such a delicious broth out of onions - let alone melt cheese on top of a bowl?!  But, this recipe certainly proved me wrong.

Making the perfect French Onion Soup is possible with just a few easy steps that turn basic ingredients into something divine.  This recipe provides simple instructions for making a delicious French Onion Soup, from the savory broth to the melted cheese on top.  While there are more complex recipes out there, I find that it is best to start with the basics and build on those foundations.  This recipe combines the best of both worlds: ease and simplicity with the same rich flavor that complex recipes boast.  Enjoy!  :]

French Onion Soup
Serves 6.

Ingredients:
3 onions
1/4 cup butter
2 14-oz cans beef broth
1 14-oz can chicken broth
salt and pepper
sliced French bread (or croutons)
1.5 cups Fontina or Gruyere cheese, shredded

Method:
1. Peel the onions and cut into 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick rings.
2. Place the butter and onions in a large saucepan.
3. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until the onions begin to brown.
4. Add beef and chicken broth.
5. Let simmer for 30 minutes.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Ladle soup into serving bowls.
8. Top each with a slice of French bread (or croûtons) and sprinkle two tablespoons of cheese over each bread slice.  Put soup bowls under broiler until cheese is melted.
9. Alternatively, place the bread slices on a baking sheet and top each with cheese; broil until cheese has melted, about 30 to 40 seconds, and set on top just before serving.

What are some of your favorite soups?  What do you do differently in your version of French Onion?

For a printable version of this recipe, visit my recipe site at http://wegottaeat.com/Lorrae/recipes/french-onion-soup.

You can find an index to all of my recipes under the "Recipes" section at the top of my blog.

And, if you liked this post, you can follow my blog to recieve free updates by clicking the "Follow" button at the top right of my page, and stay tuned for more!  :]

3 comments:

  1. I am convinced that it never stops snowing in Pa. We are waiting for another dose of snow today as well. I LOVE french onion soup. It is really tasty. Thanks for subscribing to my blog, and I wish you luck in your blogging adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have your soup and loved it! Great job<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Joy! I can't wait to get snowed in cooking and watching Food Network, lol!

    I'm glad you like my soup too Mom! I finally learned how to melt the cheese on top :]

    ReplyDelete